Sunday, July 1, 2007

Live Free or Die a Sicko


I don't get to the theater much, anymore.

Maybe once or twice a year. For someone like me, it's been a killer. I was used to going about once a week, but that all changed when I had a child. I'm sure some of you with children know what I'm talking about.

Well, today was a big day because the wife and child are out of town, and I got to indulge in some cinematic activity. Because I don't get to see many flicks, I decided to see two movies: Sicko and Live Free or Die Hard. I don't think I could have picked two films more opposite each other.

Sicko's a wonderful documentary. I couldn't recommend it enough. I hope everyone gets a chance to see this one, because it's an important film, and it's possibly the start of big things for our country as far as health care is concerned. Do I really believe that this film, at the end of the day, is going to change the United States? Not really. I think there are too many people that would lose too much money to ever let health care fall under the status of a government regulated social institution. But I guess I can hope that it might, right?

There's a part in the film where Moore discusses the other social services the government provides us (police, fire fighters, postal services, etc...), and he wonders why health care can't be provided to us all the same way. Well, we all know it's money. This is a film you walk out feeling mad about. This isn't a right wing vs. left wing issue, either. It's a rich 1% vs. everyone else. Bless you Mr. Moore... you knocked this one out of the park.

The second half of my movie going day was all about John Mclane. Die Hard, in my most humble opinion, is the greatest action flick ever put to celluloid.

This one... not so much.

It's not a horrible film by any stretch, and it's rather entertaining to boot. You just need to suspend every single bit of disbelief you've ever had. The action is fun, but I felt it get pretty dumb in the final act. The PG-13 was rather irksome, too. Usually I don't care about stuff like that, but what I do demand is consistancy. No blood splatters and the lack of F-bombs are a staple of the Die Hard franchise, and sadly... they are missing. This isn't Robocop 3 territory, but don't expect the typical Die hard bullet wounds.

I did learn about the F-35, though. I didn't realize that it was a jet similar to a harrier that can take off and land vertically. Thank you, Bruce Willis. You taught me something special.

2 comments:

The Idea Of Progress said...

Die Hard the best action movie ever? No votes for Driving Miss Daisy?

Cipher Theory said...

Yes, but Ishtar comes waaaaay before Driving Miss Daisy... for your information.